SEARCH THIS BLOG

Monday, March 12, 2012

{Cupcake Monday} St. Patrick's Day Cupcake Fun & Sneak Peek

Here is a little somethin'-somethin' I made this weekend for a little St. Patty's Day inspiration.

I have been in a rainbow kind of mood and was inspired to create these Thin Mint Chocolate Cupcakes with Rainbow Frosting.




 mmmmm......



I also made a few with Peppermint Frosting!




Oh....and how neat is that cupcake pedestal??? I've seen these at a lot of different shops online, but when I realized that I could make them myself for just a couple bucks, I did!  I made them over the weekend and just made three but they were so easy to make. The are very versatile and I just love all the different ways to dress them up.  I will share a tutorial with you tomorrow on how you can make your own!


Back to the cupcakes.....

I actually used cake box mix for these cupcakes, because I was so tired by the time I got around to making them (and high off of spray paint from my little craft project), I didn't want to pull out all of the ingredients....lazy me.  I did doctor up the cake mix a bit to add some richness to it.



In place of water, I used buttermilk and instead of three eggs, I used four.  I like Betty Crocker's Devil's Food Cake Mix for no other reason than we get box tops for my daughter's school, but you can use whatever mix you prefer.  After I combined all the ingredients, I just folded in one sleeve of crushed Girl Scouts Thin Mints and added a teaspoon of Peppermint Extract.  These cupcakes bake up nice and fluffy and have a subtle, yet delicious peppermint flavor!



The frosting is a simple Buttercream recipe and I added 1 tsp Peppermint Extract to the frosting.  For the rainbow frosting, I divided the batter in half and set it aside for the plain cupcakes.  Then divided the remaining batter into six small bowls, I added food coloring until I got the colors that I liked.  Then, I filled a piping bag for each color and swirled one ring of frosting onto the cupcake for each color.  The plain peppermint cupcakes were frosted then topped with crushed Thin Mints and green sprinkles.

If you try this recipe out, I would love to hear your thoughts or leave a comment and share a photo!



I am finalizing some printables for St. Patrick's Day and can't wait to share them with you.  So, be sure to check back this week for more St. Patrick's Day ideas & inspiration!


Linking to:

 Skip To My Lou


4 comments:

  1. There has to be a pot of gold at the end of those rainbows! Very cute and I'm looking forward to the tutorial. Some of the stands I've seen on line are way to expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE your cupcakes and were wondering - did you use the soft or stiff buttercream icing for your rainbow cupcakes?

    Thank you!
    Kristen in Asheville

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love your rainbow cupcakes and were wondering...did you use the soft or stiff buttercream for the frosting?

    Thank you!
    Kristen in Asheville

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love your rainbow cupcakes and were wondering...did you use the soft or stiff buttercream for the frosting?

    Thank you!
    Kristen in Asheville

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails