SEARCH THIS BLOG

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

{Holiday Ideas} 3rd Annual Cookie Recipe Swap

Today, I'm sharing a yummy cookie recipe sent to me by Nikki Wills at Tikkido.  We exchanged cookie recipes as part of the 3rd Annual Holiday Cookie Recipe Swap hosted by  Julie from White Lights on Wednesday.

I must be honest, if you've been reading this blog for a while, you will know that I am not a cookie maker type of person.  I always say, it's not that I can't make them, I just don't....usually.  So, you might be wondering if I don't really bake cookies, why did I decide to participate in a cookie swap?  Well, simply because it sounded like fun and it would give me a chance to share a recipe with a different audience and maybe even make a new friend!  The irony in this is that the person I was selected to swap recipes with is someone who I'm already party friends with!  LOL  So, while I might not be making a new friend, at least if I botch the cookie recipe....I know that Nikki will go easy on me!

For the swap, Nikki shared a family cookie recipe with me for Big Soft Ginger Cookies that I must tell you, is so simple to make and sooo YUMMY. Nikki shared a funny with me that she actually has the word 'YUMMM!!!' written on her own recipe card -- and she wasn't lying!.


Christmas Cookies

Here's Nikki's recipe.

Big Soft Ginger Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
2 t ground ginger
1 t baking soda
3/4 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
3/4 cups butter or shortening (you can also do 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup butter flavored Crisco)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses (I added 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar)
sugar (for rolling balls of dough before baking)

1.In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves.  set aside.


2. In an electric mixer, beat butter and Crisco on low speed for about 30 seconds.  Gradually add the 1 cup of sugar, and beat until fluffy.  Add egg and molasses, beat well.


3. Stir dry mixture into egg mixture, and mix until combined.


4. Shape dough into about 1 1/2 inch balls (a heaping tablespoon dough, or a small scoop.  Roll balls in the extra sugar and place on an un-greased cookie sheet about 2 1/2 inches apart.  This batch makes about 24 cookies.



5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, until light brown but still puffed.  Do not overbake!  Let stand on cookie sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Ginger Cookies, Christmas

 I did make some adjustments to the recipe Nikki sent.  I made these cookies late one evening and realized that I'd forgotten to pick up molasses from the store.  So,  I substituted it with a 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar.  Also, I ONLY used butter....not the shortening, simply because I didn't have shortening on hand.  I found that I had to bake my cookies a little longer than 10 minutes.  Since oven times vary, I would recommend making a small batch of cookies first and test the baking time out for your oven. 


Once your cookies have cooled, you can plate them (I made this dish using a glass plate from the dollar store and a Sharpie) on a dish or put into cellophane bags and pass out at hostess or teacher's gifts! Add a fancy tag and label and you're all set!

easy cookie recipe, recipe swap, ginger cookies


Thanks NIkki for your fabulous recipe and thanks to Julie for including me in the holiday cookie swap!  This was lots of fun.  To view other cookie recipes go to the links below.



HOST
CO-HOSTS
Aubrey from Real Housemoms
Laura from Pink Cake Plate
Abbey from The Cards We Drew
Kelley from Miss Information
Carli from Dimple Prints


cookie recipe swap, cookie exchange, Cristmas Coookies, Cookies for Santa








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails