These Eggnog cupcakes are a perfect holiday treat. I have been wanting to make an Eggnog cupcake ever since I made my Eggnog cheesecake last Christmas. I attempted to make my own recipe using an altered version of my vanilla cake recipe but it was missing something. So, I searched online and I came across this recipe on annie-eats and I must say it makes one darn good Eggnog cupcake! I altered the frosting a bit, but for the most part - it rocks!
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
¼ cup dark rum or bourbon (optional)
1 cup eggnog
¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
(Frosting Recipe Follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F and line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
3. On medium-low speed, in a separate bowl, blend together rum, eggnog, oil, vinegar, vanilla and sugar.
4. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients in three batches on low speed until well combined.
5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
20 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp Vanilla
2½ cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
2½ tbsp. eggnog
1 tbsp. dark rum
1. Beat butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Add vanilla and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.
2. Gradually add confectioner's sugar and nutmeg mixing on low speed until combined, being sure to scrape sides of bowl as necessary. Once sugar is incorporated into butter mixture, mix on medium high speed until well combined.
3. Add eggnog and rum mixing on medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Frost cupcakes as desired; sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg as garnish.