SEARCH THIS BLOG

Monday, October 19, 2015

Ooey Gooey Caramel Apples



Today starts off week 3 and day 11 of the 13 Days of Handmade Halloween!  Today, Bethany Gist of Auntie Bea's Bakery is sharing her recipe for making Caramel Apples - YUM!


I am a sucker for a good Caramel Apple!  We are fortunate enough to live in the heart of apple counrty and we have access to the best organic fresh picked apples. As soon as Fall rolls around, we are apple pickin’ and in the kitchen making and decorating our own Caramle Apples.

Today, I’m sharing my family’s favorite Caramel Apple recipe.  I make the caramel and the kids gather all the fun toppings!

Caramel Apples aren’t as hard as you think!  I prefer to make my own caramel.  I love that I can add my own twist on flavors!  Vanilla, coconut extract, cinnamon….all equal total yumminess! Ready to dive in?

Heres’s what you need:
8-12 Apples (depending on size) washed and dried
1/4 cup of Butter
2 cups Granulated Sugar
1 cup of Light Corn Syrup
1 14oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 tsp of Extract (vanilla, coconut, maple, rum or butterscotch to name a few)
If you decide to add a spice you can add a tsp of cinnamon, pumpkin spice or cloves.
Add all your ingredients except extract and spices to a 2 quart pot.


Cook on a medium-low flame, stirring constantly until bubbling and a candy thermometer reads 250/soft ball stage.  Once it reaches this stage you will add your extract (and spices if desired).  Stir to completely incorporate.





I like to use organic apples because they don't have that waxy film on them.  That film tends to make the caramel slide off.  Make sure your apples are washed and dried and attach your sticks.  You can use heavy paper straws, pop sticks, Popsicle sticks or wooden apple sticks. Now start dipping.  I like to double dip ;)  The more caramel the better!





You will want to add your toppings as soon as you pull the apple out.  My kids picked, peanuts, milk chocolate, orange candy coating, toffee bits, Halloween sprinkles and mini chocolate chips.




After dipping and decorating, place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to set.




Now here comes the fun part…EATING THEM!  Enjoy!




Thanks, Bethany for sharing this delicious treat - can't wait to make my own!  Looking for more Handmade Halloween treats, view our archives here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails