SEARCH THIS BLOG

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tip Tuesday: The Re-Purposed Edition!

In honor of Earth Day (April 22) I thought it would be a good idea to write some ideas on how to repurpose items we generally throw out.  These ideas can be used to add small details to a party for a variety of occasions.

I love to keep empty jars of spaghetti sauce, I like to purchase the ones that are mason jars.  Here, a mason jar is filled with sand and hung from a tree branch.  This is perfect for a backyard bbq, an outdoor southern style or beach wedding.


Here is a cereal box converted into a tote bag.  My daughter received a gift for her birthday in a bag made with this idea in mind and I didn't know it was a cereal box until the mom who had made it told me.  These could also be used as favor bags or take home boxes.  Here is a tutorial on how to make your own.




Aside from Mason Jars, I also hold on to tin cans because you can do so much with them.  I like this idea of using tin cans as a vase to hold flowers.  This is a charming and rustic detail for a garden style tea party.



I love using old photo frames and doing something different with them.  Here's an old frame I used as a platter to hold dessert I made for an event.


Another option: this photo frame serves as a beverage tray to hold cocktails.


Try creating a fabric banner for your next party out of old baby clothes.  This idea would work great for a milestone birthday for your child.  When your party is over you have a memorable keepsake!

 

You can incorporate old game pieces into party decor.  Here is a fun idea for a kid's polka dot themed party....it's a Twister game mat!


Aside from repurposing items, you can help the planet by using green party supplies.  Here is one site I found that sells party supplies that are either recyled, organic, biodegradeable or reusable.  You could even host a green party where everything is either reused or recycled.

Whatever way we can, we should try our best to reduce, reuse, recycle and repurpose items we generally toss in order to help Mother Earth.  Doing small things like this is one way that we give our children a chance to enjoy her beauty as much as we did.  Repurpsosing these items for parties may not be the most conventional way to 'save the planet' but it is a way and that's the most anyone can ask for.

(Photo sources are linked above.)


6 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! I just love the recycled cereal box idea, I will have to try that with the mini boxes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh - mini boxes are perfect for small bags. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous.. and great ideas! Your blog is just lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post for earth day- i love these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using the Twister mat. Pure genius!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails